[Pymilter] other problems being chased

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Apr 23 18:14:57 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> As for SPF increasing accuracy I'm glad it is working for you but, I
> have one customer that is not using SPF because too many of the mailing
> lists and forwarding services were being inappropriately marked.  I have
> my doubts about SPF's long-term viability given that some of the bigger
> spammers are already creating SPF records for their zombie owned
> machines.  On the other hand, I know there are people that have doubts
> about what I'm doing.  :-)

If they would just use SPF to create the Received-SPF header, and feed it
with the rest of the message to their favorite bayesian or score based
filter, they wouldn't have that problem.  It is innappropriate to reject
mail based solely on SPF unless you understand how to handle forwarding
services.  Real mailing lists are not a problem.  Any mailing list that puts
the authors [From:] email as the sender [envfrom] is braindead - but if
you unwisely decide to post to one, just include its servers in your
SPF record.  Too many greeting card services fall under this category.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>