[Pymilter] SRS documentation on sendmail: broken links

David Friedlander david.p.friedlander at nasa.gov
Mon Nov 13 14:19:04 EST 2017

On 11/13/17 11:29 AM, Stuart Gathman wrote:
> On 11/13/2017 10:28 AM, David Friedlander wrote:
>> What was not working for me was the combination of sendmail:
>>
>> mc file:
>> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`pythonfilter', `S=local:/var/run/milter/pysrs.sock')
>> and running "pysrs.py" as the other end of the socket.
> That's because pysrs.py is a socketmap daemon, *not* a milter.  That
> explains your timeout.

Yes, that would do it. :-)
>> Overall, do I understand you correctly that I should be running _both_
>> the milter and the socketmap instantiations, because they do different
>> things (outgoing vs incoming)?
> Yes, they both do different things.
>
> Currently, the milter package (https://github.com/sdgathman/milter)
> provides bms.py, the all singing all dancing do lots of authentication
> things milter - and that is my only implementation of rejecting incoming
> DSNs that lack an SRS signature.  You should be able to use it leaving
> the other features disabled.  It (rejecting DNS sans SRS) could be done
> via sendmail-cf and the socketmap, but I am not good enough with the cf
> language.
>
> I'll attempt to whip out an srsmilter.py that only does incoming SRS -
> and let you try it out.
What is the srsmilter.py included with the pysrs distribution? :

-rwxrwxr-x. 1 902 101 8471 Apr 26  2011 /usr/local/pysrs-1.0/srsmilter.py

On your page
     http://bmsi.com/python/pysrs.html
you have the line
     HACK(`pysrs',`/var/run/milter/pysrs')dnl
If (as per your above comments) this is a socketmap and not a genuine
milter, may I respectfully suggest that defining the socket in
/var/run/milter/ is quite confusing?

So, if I run both the socketmap pysrs and some sort of SRS milter
(bms.py or srsmilter.py), I would naturally need to define them on
different sockets to avoid clashes, correct?

Thanks again,
David

<!DSPAM:15FB6D265DE590450751824>