Shadowland: Redemption: Week 2
- 2:2 "hid him for 3 months" - Hebrews 11:23 "By faith Moses’ parents hid
him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no
ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict."
- 2:10 she named him "Moses" - "draw out". Moses would be used
to draw the people of Israel out of Egypt.
"He became her son" - Acts 7:22 "Moses was educated in all the wisdom
of the Egyptians and was powerful in speech and action."
In 1:10 Pharaoh was afraid the Hebrews would
leave the country, and began his program of oppression. Now Pharaoh
pays to feed, house, and educate the man who will be used to
lead the Hebrews out of the country.
- 2:12 "looking this way and that" - Hebrews 11:24 "By faith Moses, when he
had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter."
Acts 7:25 "Moses thought that his own people would realize that God was
using him to rescue them, but they did not."
Exodus 20:25 "If you make an altar of stone for Me, you shall not build
it of cut stones, for if you wield your tool on it, you will profane
Moses knew that the time approached to leave Egypt, and choose
affliction with Israel over the treasures of Egypt. But this
"altar" was profaned by his premature action, as the "iniquity of the
Amorite was not yet full". But also, it was human action driven by the
flesh and not the Spirit - as a stone altar was profaned by the use
- 2:15 "went to live in Midian" - Hebrews 11:27 "By faith he left Egypt, not
fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is
- Midian descended from Abraham through Keturah. And yet once
again, God's chosen man meets his bride by a well.
- 2:17 "came to their rescue" - Moses was trained as a warrior. His
sense of injustice again spurs him to action with a happier result.
- 2:18 "Reuel" - "Friend of God". "Jethro" in Exodus 3:1 is a title meaning
- 2:24 "heard their groaning" - foreshadowed by Leah in naming Simeon
- 2:25 "saw their affliction" - foreshadowed by Leah in naming Reuben