Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 18
The Testing of Lot
13:2 The riches acquired in Egypt will "pierce through with many sorrows"
- 1 Timothy 6:10 (as will the handmaiden, Hagar).
- 13:3 "went on his journeys" - retraced his steps, back to where he started, "where his tent had been at the beginning."
- 13:4 "the altar which he had made there at first" - emphasizing that the
sojourn in Egypt was a total loss.
- 13:7 Unbelievers observed the strife between believers.
- 13:10 "lifted up his eyes" - as in Genesis 3, the eyes are a key gate
of temptation. 3:6, Joshua 7:21, 1 John 2:16
"like the land of Egypt" - Lot is still longing for
- 13:13 "sinners before the LORD" - in God's face, as with Nimrod.
- 13:14 After Abram takes another step to fully obey God's instruction,
God again gives him more light.
- 13:17 God gives Abram a vision
- 13:18 "Mamre" - vision or fatness. Hebron - fellowship. Fellowship
is first mentioned when Abram fully obeys.
The Descent of Lot
- Longing for the riches of Egypt 13:10 -
Abram walked by faith (13:17), Lot by sight (13:10)
- Lifted up his eyes toward a land like Egypt
- Dwelt in the cities of the plain. 13:12
- Pitched his tent toward Sodom.
- Dwelt in Sodom 14:2
- Delivered from Sodom in Genesis 14, but returned to Sodom Amos 4:11
- Elder of Sodom 19:1
- Daughters married men of Sodom.
- Lack of fruit 18:32
- Vexed in soul 2 Peter 2:7-8
- Powerless testimony 19:14
- Still attached to Sodom 19:16
- Snatched as a branch from the fire. Zechariah 3, 1 Corinthians 3:15