Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 20
The Covenant Confirmed
- 15:1 "Fear not" - Abraham won a battle, and rescued Lot, but ticked
off some powerful kings. His army of 318 was looking even smaller.
- 15:2 "בֶן־מֶ֣שֶׁק בֵּיתִ֔י ה֖וּא דַּמֶּ֥שֶׂק אֱלִיעֶֽזֶר׃" Benmesheq baythi hu dammeseq Eliezer -
a play on words. "Benmesheq" means either "son of possession" (i.e.
legal heir) or "son of running about", and sounds like "dammeseq".
- 15:5 "stars" Daniel 12:3, compare to 13:15
Presentation: 15:2 Eliezer
Presentation: 15:6 Justification by Faith
- 15:9 Heifer, she goat, ram of three years. Three aspects of the
ministry of Christ - ending in death after 3 years. Numbers 19,
Leviticus 16:5-26, Genesis 22:13
Leviticus 5:7 Female of the flock - Sin offering
Leviticus 5:8 Divide not the turtledove or pidgeon
Leviticus 5:15 Ram - Tresspass offering
Luke 2:24 Mary's Sin offering for purification
- 15:10 "divided them in the midst" - the idiom for making a covenant
was "to cut a covenant". An animal was divided in half, and the
convenantors would walk between the halves, in essence saying
"so shall it be done to me if I renig on this covenant".
- 15:12 "deep sleep" תַרְדֵּמָ֖ה as in 2:21 - a type of the death and resurrection
that preceeds our eternal inheritance. In addition, Abram is prevented
from walking between the carcasses - making the covenant one sided:
God takes the entire responsibility.
- 15:13 "offspring", not singular seed
- 15:14 "come out with great substance" - Abraham gets wealth from Egypt,
Israelites under Moses do, Nebuchadnezzar does, Octavius Caesar does
also. Egypt seems to be where the powerful go to get money.
- 15:15 2 Chronicles 34:28 Josiah will not see the captivity of Israel
- 15:16 Fourth generation - the generations are listed in Exodus 6:16-26.
"the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full". In fact, the
Amorites will make great contributions to civilization in the next 400
years, before falling into Baal worship and infanticide.
- 15:17 God alone walks between the carcasses, again making a
one sided covenant with Abram.
- 15:18 "have I given" - no longer "will I give" as in 13:15, for the
price has been paid.
Presentation: 15:13-16 The Iniquity of the Amorites
- 15:20 Rephaim - giants. Genesis 6, Numbers 13, Deuteronomy 3:11, Joshua 12, 1 Chronicles 20