Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 32
Genesis 27: The Mantle of the First Born
All four players did wrong. Esau marries foreign wives (and earlier sold
his birthright for "red".) Isaac tries to make Esau the heir. Rebecca
tries to "help" God out. Jacob grabs the blessing from Esau by deceit.
But, in the midst of this mess, there are wonderful types.
Jacob is a type of the believer, he is considered a "plain" ("just")
man despite his trickery. On one hand Esau is a type of the unbeliever, but on
another view Esau is a type of Christ as the Elder brother.
- 26:34 By marrying not one, but two caananite wives, Esau puts to rest any
hopes that he might have reconsidered his disinterest in the birthright
and the promises that go with it.
- 27:1 Isaac could not see well - spiritually as well as physically.
- 27:4 Isaac insists on making Esau the heir, despite God's word
to Rebecca and Esau taking 2 forbidden Caananite wives.
- 27:10 Rebecca remembers God's word at the twin's birth, and decides
that God needs some help.
- 27:12 Jacob is not concerned with the ethics of the scheme - only with
- 27:13 The
Nuremberg Defense. Following orders is no excuse for doing evil.
Compare Matthew 27:25 where the leaders of Israel tell Pilate, "His
blood be on us and on our children." Rebecca does suffer a curse,
as do the leaders of Israel and their children.
- 27:15 Jacob is clothed with the garments of Esau as we are clothed
with the righteousness of Christ. "But be clothed with the Lord Jesus
Christ." Romans 13:14 Galations 3:27
- 27:24 God looks upon us in Christ and imputes to us
righteousness of Christ.
- 27:27 "For we are the aroma of Christ to God..." 2 Corinthians 2:15
- 27:33 Isaac suddenly realizes that what God spoke to Rebecca has
come to pass - despite Isaac's direct defiance. That is a
terrifying realization. "Yea, and he shall be blessed." Isaac now
begins to see what is going on.
- 27:40 "By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come."
Hebrews 11:20. Edom throws off the yoke of Israel in 2 Kings 8:20.
- 27:44-45 Rebecca never sees Jacob again before she dies 20 years later,
and is in fact deprived of them both in one day as Jacob leaves
and Esau is estranged. She is buried in secret as
Isaac is blind, Jacob is absent, and Esau is estranged.