Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 54
- 47:6 Goshen was the best of Egypt. When Jesus returns, Palestine
will be the best place in the world. Isaiah 35:1-2 Thanks
to the provision of Joseph in 46:34, they were "in Egypt, but
not of Egypt".
- 47:9 "pilgrimage" - everything here is temporary.
- 47:10 "Jacob blessed Pharaoh" - a fulfilment of 12:3, Pharaoh had
blessed Israel the best of the land and with food. Now Pharaoh
- 47:11 Joseph placed Israel in the best part of the land of Egypt,
symbolic of the world, as a land of their own. Jesus will place Israel
in Palestine, the best part of the world when restored to pristine
beauty and fertility.
- 47:15 "The Egyptians" - The priests and Israel were supported by Pharaoh.
Israel was an invited guest. Question: were any Egyptians able
to save their own seed, and thus avoid selling everything to
- 47:17 The Egyptians were worshiping cattle at the Exodus, and probably
- 47:22 Pharaoh now owned everything except the Egyptian priests, and the
children of Israel.
- 47:24 Pharaoh was already able to levy a 20% tax in the good years.
What has changed?
- 47:27 "grew and multiplied" - Isaiah 60, the wealth of the nations
will be brought to Israel, and they will live in peace. Ezekiel 34:25-26
- 47:28 The first 17 years of Joseph's life were spent with Jacob. The
last 17 years of Jacob's life were spent with Joseph.
- 47:31 "bowed himself on the bed" 1 Kings 1:47-48. Beds and chairs
in Egypt (at least for the middle and upper class) were very similar to
ours, with four feet (often carved like the feet of cattle), a frame,
and a thin mattress. The pillow was usually a stone, however. The
stone provided welcome coolness in the heat.