Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 6
Hebrew Lesson: Flash Cards
The Sixth and Seventh Day: Man and Beast, Work and Rest
Genesis 1:24 - 2:4
- 1:27 God created man in His own image - Thus Adam became
a "son of God". Throughout scripture this refers to the direct creation
of God, so that Adam's descendents were not "sons of God" until we come
to Christ. The angels, who are directly created, are also called
sons of God. This becomes important later. Most wonderfully,
"to them He gave the power to become sons of God - even to those
who believe on His name". John 1:12 As the direct creation of
God, we are the sons of God. Ephesian 2:10 We are his new creation.
2 Corinthians 5:17
"For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything. What counts is a
new creation. Galatians 6:15
- 1:28 "have dominion" -
"For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the
sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but
because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be
set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the
children of God." Romans 8:19-22
- 1:30 every green herb for food - Isaiah 11:6-9
- 2:2 Why did God take 6 days to create heaven and earth, the sea, and all
that is in them? One reason is to set the pattern for the Sabbath.
- 2:3 The seventh day is a type of heaven.
"For those having believed enter into the rest, as He has said, "So I
swore in my wrath, 'they shall not enter into My rest.'" And yet the
works have been finished from the foundation of the world."
- 1:25 "beasts of the earth" - wild animals, "cattle" - domestic animals,
"creeping things" - reptiles, insects, etc. Where would dinosaurs
- 1:28 "replenish the earth" - literally *fill* the earth, same as verse 22.
- 1:30 were there carnivores before the fall? Isaiah 11
- 2:1 Augustine takes "host of heaven" to mean the angels created on day 1.
- 2:2 According to Big Bang, we are still in the 6th day. That would
make the 7th day still in the future. But it seems that this
heavens and earth will be destroyed and replaced with
a new heavens and new earth and new Jesuralem. This is a problem
for the Big Bang theory - except, that there *is* a future sabbath rest
that awaits the believer.
- 2:4 "in the day" - here י֗וֹם has no number, and no "evening and morning".
Hence it means "age" or "in those days" - in contrast to the first