Coming of the King: Week 13
To channel William Boetcker, You cannot humble yourself before God by exalting
yourself before men.
- 6:17 This does not mean dress for a wedding every day, but as Ellicot's
commentary says, "The disciples of Christ were to hide their contrition and
self-discipline, and even when the heart knew its own bitterness were to be
blithe and cheerful, opening their griefs only to their Father in heaven."
I Must Tell Jesus All of My Trials
Riches bring a snare
1 Timothy 6:9-10
- 6:20 Instruct those who are rich in the present age not to be conceited
and not to put their hope in the uncertainty of wealth, but in God, who richly
provides all things for us to enjoy.
1 Timothy 6:17-19
- 6:21 "... there will your heart be" - there is no longing for heaven
when your treasure is on earth, and your idol will slip from your grasp as
you slip into the next world.
- 6:22 "single" - unmixed,simple.
"lest you be corrupted from your simple and pure devotion to Christ"
2 Corinthians 11:3
"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."
"The double minded I despise..."
"How long will you waver between two opinions?"
1 Kings 18:21
"you are neither cold nor hot. How I wish you were one or the other!"
- 6:23 "evil eye" - envy. "Is your eye evil that I am generous?"
"... deceit, debauchery, an evil eye, blasphemy ... all these
evils come from within and defile a man."
- 6:24 "mammon" a Chaldean/Aramaic word transliterated to Greek -
possessions, property, money. I.e. treasure. Mammon is
a hard master.