Coming of the King: Week 19
Matthew 9:1-17: The Fundamental Transformation of the Kingdom
- 9:2 "Your sins are forgiven" - Jesus shows his primary mission.
In Mark 2 we see that Jesus
is speaking from an upper room to a crowd gathered in the courtyard,
and overflowing into the street, causing the men carrying the sick
to go around to the other side of the house and onto the roof.
- 9:6 "Get up and walk" -
- 9:7 "He got up and went home" - obedience and faith
- 9:8 "authority to men" - they did not realize who he was.
- 9:11 The Pharisees concealed their own wickedness, and ostracized
those whose sin was more apparent. "What business of mine is it to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?"
1 Corinthians 5:9-13. But the Pharisees may have considered all Israelites as
"in the church", an issue which is still with us today in America.
- 9:16 "garment" - an obvious meaning is "lifestyle".
"make the rent worse" - "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us
not to burden you with anything beyond these essential requirements"
- 9:17 "new wine" - "be not drunk with wine, but be filled with