Coming of the King: Week 23
- 11:3 John experiences his Dark Night of the Soul
- 11:4 Jesus sends back a first hand account of the evidence
that John's mission was true, and Jesus is in fact the Messiah.
- 11:6 "Blessed is the one who does not fall away on account of Me.” He
encourages John to hold on in faith, despite prison and impending
- 11:7 "reed shaken with the wind". John was the wind shaking the reeds.
- 11:10 Malachi 3:1
The Great Forerunner of the Lord
John was the greatest of the law and the prophets, but
the kingdom of heaven is greater still.
- 11:14 John said he was not Elijah,
but Jesus says he was, "if you are willing to accept it".
If Israel had accepted their Messiah, then John would have been the
Elijah that was to come.
- 11:18 Some people are impossible to please. John was severe, and they
said "he hath a devil".
- 11:19 Jesus was friendly - and was called the "friend of sinners".