Coming of the King: Week 3
Matthew 3: The Great Forerunner
- 3:1 The wilderness of Judea - where David wrote
- 3:2 The kingdom of Heaven -
- 3:3 A voice calling in the wilderness -
"prepare the way" -
We know Malachi was talking about John the Baptist, because
Jesus said so in
but notice the change of pronoun!
- 3:5 "all Judaea" - the crowds came to John, and he didn't
build a megachurch or rent a stadium.
- 3:9 "We have Abraham as our father" -
The term has lost its meaning today, but this is actual racism.
- 3:12 Clear His threshing floor -
Malachi 3:2. Malachi
wrote at the time of Nehemiah. One of the sins they dealt with back then
was divorce and remarriage
Malachi 2:11, which
is still a problem 500 years later, and Jesus will deal with it.
- 3:15 Jesus said, "I have come to do your will"
Among other things, baptism consecrated the Christ for his office
of High Priest Exodus 29:4.
- 3:16 A dramatic presentation of the Trinity.