Coming of the King: Week 33
- 15:21 Like other contacts with gentiles, this was planned.
- 15:22 "Son of David" - by addressing Jesus as King of the Jews,
she does not acknowlege Him as her own King, as she is a gentile.
How many of us just want a few favors from God, without
making Him our Lord?
- 15:24 While addressed to His disciples, Jesus is throwing out a
hint to the woman.
- 15:25 "Lord help me" - now she addresses Him simply as her own Lord,
and Jesus responds.
- 15:26 "and toss it to the dogs" -
- 15:27 How many of us would have turned away indignantly from this
gentle correction? This woman was wise enough to receive
instruction, and faith enough to still believe that
her Lord (not just the Jew's) wanted to help her.
- 15:28 "great is your faith" - She had become a child of Abraham, not of
the flesh (the dust of the earth,
but of faith (the stars of the heavens,
even of the gentiles (the sand of the sea).
Provision of the Kingdom
- 15:31 Once again, there is no question of the reality of the miracles,
only of their purpose.
- 15:33 This lesson is given twice, because it is fundamental,
as with the dreams of Pharoah in
There is provision, miraculous if need be, for the King's servant on
the King's business.
1 Kings 17
- 15:39 This crowd was quieter, having apparently not so many Zealots.