Coming of the King: Week 40
- 19:1 "beyond the Jordan" - this road went to Jerusalem without
going through Samaria. Jesus continues south toward Jerusalem and the
- 19:3 "can a man divorce his wife for any reason?" - a
marriage is a sacred vow. As G. K. Chesterton
wrote in "The Superstition of Divorce", a piece of paper does not
cancel a sacred vow. Herodias had John the Baptist executed
for calling her relations with Herod adultery.
- 19:4 "from the beginning" -
Abram and Pharoah
Abraham and Abimelech
- 19:7 "why did Moses command" - actually, Moses said he
may write her a certificate of divorce.
- 19:9 "except for immorality" - sexual immorality pollutes the land,
But just as oath breaking pollutes human relationships,
so breaking promises to God brings death. God used the
unfaithful wife of Hosea to show how God felt about
- 19:12 "born that way" - one bright spot in the modern confusion
over sexuality is the rise of self-avowed "asexuality". The
asexual has no interest in sex, and does not marry. They are
usually highly productive.
- 19:14 "the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these" - a gentle
reminder of what He said in