[Pymilter] annoying errors and explanations

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Apr 15 08:33:45 EDT 2004

started testing and the milter process starts up fine and runs fine.
But, sendmail tells me:

Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 1644: Xmilter:
local socket name /tmp/camram/pythonsock unsafe: World writable directory

and it's not.  Directory and sockets are owned by root.root, 660.  I
figure it's probably being root phobic so I start testing with the final
userid.  now it's the milter's turn to throw up a hairball.

bash-2.05b$ python camram_milter.py
Removing /tmp/camram/pythonsock
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "camram_milter.py", line 133, in ?
     Milter.runmilter("milter",socketname,240)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/Milter.py", line 198, in runmilter
     milter.main()
milter.error: cannot run main

even though the directory was 660 and owned by camram, I could not write
to it (permissions 101).  what threw me was the error "cannot run main"
which is the error you give when there is a problem with threads.
Curiouser and curiouser.

in the end, sendmail is still sick about something masquerading as a
world writable directory.

it's enough to make you go to postfix..

---eric