[Pymilter] really long processing

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue May 11 18:02:10 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> is starting to sound more and more like I need to build a system that
> takes the output from milter and stuffs it in a queue before processing
> and after processing, reinject into the e-mail stream.

If you can't rely on having the new queue facilities of sendmail
available (I'm in the same boat), then roll your own queue in Python.
After saving the headers and body and metadata in your queue file(s),
then return DISCARD to sendmail, and sendmail will forget about the
message.  When you are ready to reinject it, run /usr/lib/sendmail
(to avoid using SMTP and being reprocessed through milter).

As long as writing the message to your queue is complete and your files
are fsync()ed and closed before returning DISCARD, no mail will get lost.
(I doubt that sendmail goes as far as fsync).

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>