[Pymilter] RE: You are correct, it is a bug (rejecting non-SRS)

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Jun 15 12:39:00 EDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Alex Savguira wrote:

> I reckon these are exceptions milter throws when something goes wrong in
> the mime parser class. Do you have any idea how to fix these, what
> happends to these mail messages? I understand that they are being

They get a 451 error - which tells the sender to try again later.
Generally, I notice and fix or work around such problems, and then
the messages comes through next time the sender tries.

> rejected, would you rather consider accepting them in the case of the
> software exception? I would prefer having a few junk-mails pass, than a
> few business letter being unable to reach the recepients.

Spammers tend to give up after a 451, but real senders will keep
trying for several days.  I can see your point that an end-user who
will be waiting for the next release rather than fixing problems
would rather accept messages that trigger an exception.  That should
be an option.  Do you want to add as feature request on sourceforge?

I am bouncing this to the mailing list.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>