[Pymilter] Re: python milter downloads

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Dec 21 21:21:16 EST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Aaron Reizes wrote:

> I have tried to download the current milter code -milter-0.8.6.tar.gz
> (and also the previous version (0.8.5) and my virus scan traps several
> viruses in the download.

That is a rather naive virus scanner.  There are, in fact, many viruses in the
test suite.  They are not "live", and have all but the first and last lines of
their base64 encoded data removed (denatured).  The bms milter removes
executable (by Windows) content.  I have found it pointless to check
signatures.  When a new virus hits, by the time the signature database gets
updated, it is too late.  People that send executable attachments by email
(other than digitally signed and in a form not immediately executed by Windows)
need their head examined.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>