[Pymilter] Building pymilter on debian sarge ?

paddy paddy at panici.net
Tue Mar 21 11:15:19 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:53:37AM -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>
> > > I have a libmilter.so but only libsmutil.a
> > >
> > > Am I correct in thinking I need libsmutil.so ?
> >
> > The name of the sendmail library varies with distro for some reason.  Try
> > renaming "smutil" to "sm" in setup.py.  Any suggestions on how to make this
> > change automatically are welcome (perhaps a big table in setup.py).
>
> I recently compiled milter-0.8.5 on a slackware system.  On that system,
> I had to remove "smutil" entirely from libs in setup.py.  I think that
> the necessary routines from smutil get incorporated into libmilter on
> some systems.

ok, that would seem to be the case on Debian Sarge also.

  # python setup.py build
  running build
  running build_py
  running build_ext
  building 'milter' extension
  gcc -pthread -shared build/temp.linux-i686-2.3/miltermodule.o -lmilter -o build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/milter.so

Somehow I was expecting it to do more than that ?! :-)
Anyway I can have a proper look when I have some time, many thanks.

What you said about symbols might be the answer, sort of like the usual
automake/autoconf find out by trying approach.  It's not hard to imagine
version numbers being a dead end with the way distros treat them.  Is the
move purely a distro mod and not in the upstream source at some point ??

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall