[Pymilter] Forking pymilter?

Dwayne Litzenberger dwayne at oscl.ca
Wed Oct 24 17:41:28 EDT 2007

On October 24, 2007 03:21:33 pm Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Dwayne Litzenberger wrote:
> > I didn't actually do any forking.  os.fork() duplicates all running
> > threads, right?
> >
> > I've never heard of any Python RMI equivalent, which is why I
> > more-or-less ended up inventing one for this project.
>
> No serialization should be needed if your server is in the same process.
> Just pass the object directly.  RMI and equivalents are for inter-process
> and inter-machine calls.  Or did you want to have it immediately scalable
> to multiple processes?

Sorry, "serialization" isn't the right word.  I just meant creating a tuple
that contains the request type, args, kwargs, and a newly-created Queue.Queue
object used to return the result.  On the way back, I pass a tuple containing
Success/Fail, followed by either the return value or the result of
sys.exc_info().

--
Dwayne Litzenberger, B.A.Sc.
Information Technology Analyst