[Pymilter] general gossip questions

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Mon Feb 22 14:53:42 EST 2010

Hi, just joined the list.  I am going to implement some kind of
reputation system on our mail servers.  I've studied and experimented
with both gossip and pygossip.  pygossip was not too difficult to get
running on my laptop (Ubuntu, servers are CentOS 4.x and 5.x).  gossip
compiled, but it's implementation of SSL pulls in a few things that I
don't have a need for, so now I'll see about getting pygossip up and
running on a test mail system.

I need to implement the client on two different types of mail server,
sendmail and exim.  The off-the-cuff plan for sendmail is to write a
quick milter in perl, and for exim I'll embed the perl into exim and
write a few macros.

I would like to use pygossip's server capabilities, however I have
some questions:
1. Is there any more recent version/code in git or any other VCS?  Bug
fixes?  Feature additions?
2. I don't know much about python, but Shelves just seems to be a
version of berkeleyDB.  Is this right?
3. What about manual adjustments to the data?  For example, completely
purge one sender's reputation?
4. Any kind of summary or data mining scripts?  Bosses like pretty graphs.

I don't quite have a grasp of the UMIS yet, but I'm studying to see
how it differs in function from the unique identifier that is the
IP:domain tuple.

So far, I find the documentation within pygossip scripts to be quite
readable and illuminating.  You've written a fantastic project, I just
need my understanding to catch up with it.

--
Regards...      Todd
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and