[Pymilter] general gossip questions

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Feb 23 13:31:52 EST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> > 2. I don't know much about python, but Shelves just seems to be a
> > version of berkeleyDB.  Is this right?

More accurately, shelve is a wrapper around a bsd style database.
The database just has to act like a map (lookup records given keys)
with variable size binary records.

Shelve uses strings for keys, and serializes a python object for
the record.  By using a single BLOB for the record, it avoids the
complication of extracting fields.  For this type of application, where
all data in a record is needed every time, extracting fields would
be a waste of time.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>