[Pymilter] Re: Too harsh?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Sat Mar 6 17:35:52 EST 2010

* On 06 Mar 2010, Todd Lyons wrote:
> milter cannot see headers that other milters have added.  So any
> attempt to create a reputation milter that does not also handle the
> spam scoring will have to just log profusely and rely on some external
> process to parse the logs and submit the feedback.  I will probably
> use swatch for that, or maybe write a simple helper daemon that does
> pretty much what swatch does.  I haven't thought too much on that just
> yet.

When milter functions cannot be combined in a single milter, one
solution is to use two layers of sendmail.  One listens on *:25 and
calls milter1, then passes to another sendmail running on, say,
localhost:2501.  Insert layers on localhost:2502, etc. as needed, one
sendmail per milter.  The final sendmail+milter instance delivers or
performs final relay.

If you pay Sendmail, Inc's Professional Services group a lot of money to
help you stack milters, this (loosely and roughly) is what they will set
up.

> Yes, I am a big fan of the way that AOL's system operates.  Our

Ah, well, to each his own I guess.  (My problem with AOL is their inane
"feedback loop" strategy, which is more annoying than helpful to large
peers, but which they firmly refuse to change.)

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu    NSIT    University of Chicago