[Pymilter] Adding Recipient takes extremely long

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Mar 21 11:02:53 EDT 2012

Long ago, Nostradamus foresaw that on 03/21/2012 04:58 AM, Thomas
Spycher would write:
> Thanks for your fast reply. It could be interesting to get some knowledge from milter/postfix insides. How does milter add an recipient to an arriving mail?
> Is there a way to manipulate the whole raw header with regexp from milter?
>
> In detail my script is going to replace all recipient addresses (to, cc, bcc) with the same address, but with a uuid4 and a + prefixed. This is due to trace a message trough the whole system and logs, even if it gets requeued.

libmilter doesn't add recipients.  It sends a message to the MTA saying
"please add this recipient: foobar".  The MTA then adds the recipient
and sends back a status code.  There will be overhead in the MTA, like
adding to queues, etc, but not several seconds worth that you are
seeing.  This looks like a postfix bug.  I am not running your
benchmark, but I don't see that kind of large delay in my milter log for
adding recipients.