[Pymilter] Unknown mechanism found

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Jan 12 17:12:35 EST 2015

On Jan 12, Stuart D Gathman transmitted in part:

> On Jan 10, Arnaud de Prelle transmitted in part:
>
>>  At first sight this record looks correct except that it contains a
>>  trailing space at the end of the record.
>>  Is this against the RFC ?
>
> Good question.  I'll check the spec to see if trailing space is allowed,
> and add a test case either way.  In any case, it is a silly thing for
> the publisher to do.

The top level syntax is:
  terms            = *( 1*SP ( directive / modifier ) )

So yes, a trailing space is illegal, and sfr.fr should get a PermError.
My in house system would also ban them because they do not accept mail
to postmaster...

(I'll probably add trimming the trailing space to the heuristics
applied by pymilter to get a "best guess" result by guessing
what publishers probably meant.)

If everyone agrees, I'll add a test case to the test suite to ensure
compliant implementations give the PermError.