[Pymilter] Possible to use a milter for reverse SRS?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at gathman.org
Sun Jan 27 19:41:34 EST 2019

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019, Melanie Dymond Harper wrote:

> I'm in the process of testing an SRS setup -- we need to be able to
> forward email for some customers from domains managed here to their own
> email accounts. We have srsmilter working the way it ought to for
> outbound mail, so far so good; is it possible to configure it to handle
> returned (bounced) mail to SRS-encoded addresses as well? The
> original SRS documentation seems to suggest piping that back
> through a script, but the available scripts (e.g. srs2envtol.py) all
> seem to have caveats of "DO NOT USE, BAD IDEA" (etc) and I'd like to do
> it a "better" way if there is one. Sendmail and Debian involved.

srsmilter in pysrs-1.0.3 translates SRS encoded recipients.

Any SRS recipients with bad signatures will reject that recipient.
If reject_spoofed is True in pysrs.cfg, any local recipients that
are not SRS encoded cause the entire message to be rejected in DATA.
(To avoid receiving "bounce spam".) More complex policies will have
to be coded in python.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at gathman.org>