[Pymilter] no memory release when assigning chunks to self.fp in milter-template.py

joao reis joao at 7lan.net
Fri Jan 3 13:44:20 EST 2020

Hi,

milter-template.py seems to accumulate memory constantly while saving
the message chunks in self.fp.

Here is a minor adaptation of the milter-template running on python3 (I
noticed the same problem with pymilter running on python2) follows
(https://github.com/joaoreis81/milter-template) with few modifications
that reproduce the problem. On a reasonably loaded postfix server, after
30 minutes of messaging the process memory increased to 500MB

In my last tests, I am running milter-template as a container and the
increase in memory occurs both when running directly in the operating
system and the container environment. We can certainly exclude this as a
possible cause of the problem described.

As stated earlier, all file descriptors cleanup tests were done but
unsuccessful for memory release, it looks like a "memory cancer" really.

I have been using Red Hat based operating systems (fedora, centos) and
the problem always comes up. I will perform some tests changing
distribution to verify the result.

I am passing this thread to the mailing list as directed.

Thanks in advance
João Reis.