Shadowland: Redemption: Week 3
- 3:1 Jethro - "his excellency". Horeb was the mountain range,
Sinai a peak. God met Moses here, and Elijah
1 Kings 19:8.
- 3:2 "bush" - as Acts 7 makes clear, this was a thorn bush, the symbol
of the curse. The Angel of the Lord was Christ - who became
cursed for us. As Christ indwelt the bush so that it burned
with his glory, so he indwells us. As the bush was not consumed,
so we are living sacrifices.
- 3:3 Moses thinks like a scientist.
- 3:4 "Moses! Moses!" -
"Here I am!" - הִנֵּֽנִי "hineni!"
- 3:7 "seen the misery" - Reuben:
"… heard them crying" - Simeon:
- 3:13 40 years ago acting in the flesh, Moses was impetuous. Now that
he is actually called, he sees the difficulties!
- 3:14 "I am" - הָיָה: "I became", "I am", "I will
- 3:18 "the elders of Israel will listen to you" - the first time Moses
visited his brethren, they rejected him. As they groaned under
their affliction for 40 years, they were ready to accept him the second
time, and he led them out of Egypt.
Christ was rejected by his brethren when he first visited them, and
they have been persecuted ever since. The second time, they will say,
"Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!" and he will deliver
them with mighty wonders again!
- 3:21 "Egyptians favorably disposed" - apparently, the plight of the
Israelites became something of a populist cause in Egypt! We'll
see more of this later.
- 3:22 "plunder the Egyptians" - back wages