Shadowland: Beginnings: Week 14
The New World
A new world emerges from the waters of the flood, reflecting the emergence
of Adam's world from the waters of the flood in
We saw some ways that Noah was a type of Christ in
In Genesis 9 we see many similarities to Adam, and thus how Noah, like Christ,
is a "second Adam".
- 9:1 "Be fruitful and multiply", as Adam was commanded in
- 9:2 Noah and his descendents given dominion over the animal world.
- 9:3 As the death of animals was required for Adam, so the life
of Noah and his descendents depends on eating animals (the only source
of essential vitamin B12).
- 9:5 The blood is sacred as in
- 9:6 The institution of human government and capital punishment.
- 9:9 As the earth rising from the waters in
Genesis 8 recapitulates
so God makes his covenant with Noah, as with Adam, after a global flood.
- 9:10 The covenant applies to all who come out of the ark. They are "in
Noah", as we are "in Christ".
- 9:15 If you had any lingering doubts whether the text could possibly
somehow support a local flood, this eliminates them. If the flood was local,
God is a liar - there have been many widespread and devasting floods since
- 9:19 Like Adam, Noah had three sons. With both, the line of Christ comes
through the son whose genealogy is given third.
- 9:20 As Adam tended a garden, Noah tended a vineyard.
- 9:21 Like Adam, Noah sinned after receiving the covenant (involving
fruit), and his nakedness was revealed.
- 9:23 Like Adam, Noah's nakedness was covered.
- 9:25 See 1 Kings 9:21
and the Gibeonites in Joshua. Caanan was not the father of "black people".
- 9:27 "Japheth" means "enlarge". We will see in
Genesis 10 that
the descendents of Japheth occupy most of the worlds territory, including
Asia, Asia Minor, Europe, and probably America.
- 9:29 The reduction of lifespan did not affect Noah, but did affect his