Coming of the King: Week 37
- 17:17 "unbelieving and perverse" - perverse because of
inappropriate use of a gift, as with the feeding of the
multitudes. Unbelieving because of lack of trust in
the Father in heaven.
- 17:21 "goeth not out but by prayer and fasting" - the best manuscripts
of Matthew do not have this verse, but a similar statement
of Jesus is found in Mark on this same occasion.
- 17:23 "deeply grieved" - not trusting the plan or the Father.
- 17:24 "didrachma" - half a shekel. The census tax of Moses
was a half shekel.
Amusingly, only Matthew the former tax collector reports
this taxation miracle.
- 17:26 "the sons are free" - Jesus counts Peter also as a son
of the Kingdom. "That there be no offense" - "Let it be so now"
- 17:27 The sons were free - they had the tax paid for them.
Earthly ambassadors have local taxes and other expenses paid for them.