Coming of the King: Week 41
- 19:18 note which commandments are left out
- 19:21 "perfect" - complete. To get on board with the rest
of the commandments.
- 19:23 "it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom" -
"No man can serve both God and Mammon"
- 19:24 "eye of a needle" - hyperbole, or a narrow gate of Jerusalem
called the "eye of a needle" that camels often need to drop
baggage to get through, or a camel hair cord which is difficult
to thread into a needle.
straight is the gate and narrow is the way
- 19:25 "disciples were astonished" - the Pharisees were a form of
Prosperity Gospel, where wealth was a sign of God's favor. If the
wealthy found it difficult to enter the Kingdom, what hope was there for
the rest of us?
- 19:26 "with man this is impossible" - the disciples got the message: it is
only by grace we can be saved.
- 19:27 Peter is not rebuked for his concern.
- 19:28 "Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each
one according to what he has done."
"Then I saw the thrones, and those seated on them had been given
authority to judge."
- 19:30 to be elaborated next time ...