[Pymilter] exploding messages

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Apr 23 15:08:15 EDT 2004

(I hope folks don't mind my thinking aloud.  Hopefully it will
illustrate features of pymilter one can use.)

As I described earlier, in camram, there can be either individual or
aggregate filters.  a mail message may hit multiple individual or
aggregate filters.  The message must be compared to each filter and will
get a different rating as to whether or not it is spam.  At this point,
the message will get different additional headers and therefore create
multiple, almost identical, copies of the same message.

I think I'm comfortable with the deep copy replication and address
partitioning.  The question is what's the best way to inject these
messages back into the system without passing them through the camram
filter again.

I'm beginning to think that I might want to not release a message back
through milter but always output the message through the reinjection
mechanism.

so the system will look something like:

external>>-->> sendmail(p1)..||
                            milter
                        camram_pymilter
                      filter and replicate
                          reinject --> sendmail(p3)-->deliver

an external e-mail message is delivered to the input side of sendmail.
The message is passed to the milter with corresponding camram filter.
The messages filtered and replicated which is then passed to reinjection
system which delivers it to (another?) sendmail which then delivers it.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, there does not seem to be any way to
create and inject multiple copies at the milter level.

thoughts?

---eric