[Pymilter] exploding messages

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Apr 23 15:20:47 EDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

> an external e-mail message is delivered to the input side of sendmail.
> The message is passed to the milter with corresponding camram filter.
> The messages filtered and replicated which is then passed to reinjection
> system which delivers it to (another?) sendmail which then delivers it.
>
> Unless I'm very much mistaken, there does not seem to be any way to
> create and inject multiple copies at the milter level.

You are correct.  You can add/del recipients and change the message, but
sendmail can deliver only one version of a message.  As an optimization,
you could DISCARD and reinject only when the number of message versions
is > 1.  Milter is not called for locally generated mail (i.e. from
postmaster).  This is annoying because most of my postmaster mail is spam
(failed attempts to tell spammers their spam couldn't be delivered on
machines I am a secondary MX for).  However, locally generated mail is
just what you require.  I believe that running sendmail as a MSA,
fp = popen("/usr/sbin/sendmail -f %s %s" % (sender,rcpt),"w"),
will do what you want.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>