[Pymilter] exploding messages

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Apr 26 12:16:22 EDT 2004

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> The dspam filter creates a "TAG" that is filter (dictionary) specific and
> is used to lookup a token stats record (signature) to change the status
> of a message.
>
> Rather than copy the entire message, I simply add all the tags to the
> message.  If the user changes the status (marks as spam), the tags
> not belonging to them are simply ignored.  This way, there
> is only one message delivered.  For smart message stores (like Exchange -
> but don't buy it, it sucks in too many other ways), the message is
> only stored once as well.

after thinking about it all weekend.  I think I was a bit hasty and
rejecting your suggestions.  While there are a bunch of reasons for
doing what I'm going to do in the short-term, I think the right answer
is to try an alternative based on your ideas.  That is to not change the
mail message at all but deliver all that I can in the first pass and
only make copies of messages that are placed into the spamtrap or dumpster.

I will probably use the message ID as a tag for associating all of the
scores etc. in the message logs.  If I can't record information in the
mail message, the least I can do is being able to reconstruct it.

I will admit that it bothers me that I can't put per recipient headers
in the messages but I will get over it.  I think I was thinking that way
because of having been operating as a local delivery agent filter for so
long.

---eric

<!DSPAM:FC279A86589884730941934>