[Pymilter] Number of threads

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Dec 27 14:36:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Roman Suzi wrote:

> I have these timeouts right now:
>
> T=C:5m;S:1m;R:1m;E:5m
>
> >Another solution is to increase the timeout in the milter definition to
> >match your application.
> >
> >A third solution is to fix the application so it doesn't take so long.
> >
> >I would check the sendmail log for milter timeout errors - this should
> >let you know which timeout sendmail is hitting, and either increase it
> >or adjust your application.
>
> It is usually this:
>
> Dec 27 19:44:26 mx sendmail[11422]: iBRGhQSD011422: Milter (mymilter):
> timeout before data read
>
> And yes, probably milter does too much. I need to check that. It usually takes
> 4 s to process a message but sometimes I see 30 s and more.

OK, sendmail is timing out on read.  Your read timeout is 1 minute
(R:1m).  That means that sometimes, your milter thread takes more than
1 minute (60 secs).  Whenever it takes that long, that thread will
be an extra thread - disconnected from sendmail.  When it eventually,
gets around to responding to sendmail, it will get an abort.  You could
log the elapsed time since the last libmilter call to get an idea of
what to set the read timeout to (or to give a clue to some bug that
is hanging the milter thread).  I would immediately increase the read
timeout to 5 minutes, and see if that helps before doing more debugging.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>