[Pymilter] Re: pymilter vs MIMEDefang / pymilter performances

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Jun 6 10:29:59 EDT 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, stephane Lentz wrote:

> For the time being it seems that MIMEDefang has more press and has more
> features and history but for basic setups (filtering of subject and/or
> banned_exts use) how do pymilter will perform on the memory usage/CPU &
> so on points of view ? What about 50.000, 100.000 messages a day set-ups ?

The basic engine is very efficient.  There is a large ISP that uses it,
but they use their own custom milter.

> The current TODO list right now is a bit unclear.
> I read some notes such as "Check valid domains allowed by internal senders
> to detect PCs infected with spam trojans." but could not understand the
> idea. Could you clarify the content ?

This should be updated to "check outgoing SPF".  The idea is that
when Windoze PCs become Zombies, they often send out spam email with
foreign domains.  Checking whether outgoing MAIL FROM domains are
legit would catch such spam before it gets into the wild.

> Now that the source is on SF, maybe more people could contribute to it ?
> I will try to check if I can help someway when I have time left?

Get on the mailing list.

The current bugs have to do with moving to python2.4 and the
email package changes.  I need to upload pydspam, since adding
tags to a message is seriously broken since upgrading to python2.4.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>