[Pymilter] pymilter vs MIMEDefang / pymilter performances

stephane Lentz stephane.lentz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:32:46 EDT 2005

Hi Stuart,

I've just noticed that you've started to move stuff to SourceForge.
Nice. I've some friends who do a lot of filtering against spam
at the ruleset local :
Block based on the From header or NNTP-Posting-Host or Newsgroups header
or the rDNS name or the Subject.

I'd like to suggest them to move to Milter solutions.
MIMEDefang is of course one option, but pymilter also.
Pymilter has way less requirements than mimedefang.
I don't remember if I already asked you but did you do a
kind of benchmark for Pymilter vs Mimedefang in a similar
configuration set-up ?
For the time being it seems that MIMEDefang has more press and has more
features and history but for basic setups (filtering of subject and/or
banned_exts use) how do pymilter will perform on the memory usage/CPU &
so on points of view ? What about 50.000, 100.000 messages a day set-ups ?

The current TODO list right now is a bit unclear.
I read some notes such as "Check valid domains allowed by internal senders
to detect PCs infected with spam trojans." but could not understand the
idea. Could you clarify the content ?
Now that the source is on SF, maybe more people could contribute to it ?
I will try to check if I can help someway when I have time left?

Regards,

SL/

PS: regarding malformed MIME messages, It seems that perl has some
advantages with MIME-Tools which has been updated several times
by DFS to handle such cases ....

Stephane.Lentz at gmail.com
Ingénieur Sécurité  - ouvert  à des propositions de postes sur Paris ou Bordeaux
Compétences : SMTP/DNS/FIREWALL/IDS Unix/Linux