[Pymilter] memory leak in 0.9.2?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Tue Jul 28 13:04:05 EDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Jay Deiman wrote:

> all the way up to 144MB of usage.  I'm wondering, before I start the
> painstaking process of tracking down memory leaks if there is a known leak
> that is perhaps fixed for 0.9.3?

The only thing fixed so far in miltermodule.c in 0.9.3 is an unitialized
optional parameter (crash if you don't pass it).

I guess the first question to investigate is if the leak is in the
Python API (missing a Py_DECREF somewhere) or the libmilter API.  I wonder if
there is a way to tell how much of the 144M is allocated as:

1) python objects
2) malloc/free via libmilter
3) threads

To see if we're on the same page:
What version of python? (I'm on 2.4).
What version of sendmail is libmilter.a from? (I'm on 8.14.3)

I think it might be a good general diagnostic feature to count
milter_context create/dealloc in miltermodule.c, and provide a way to
query from python.  Any other diagnostic counts that might be handy?

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>