[Pymilter] Too harsh?

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Tue Mar 2 16:35:29 EST 2010

One of the things I am doing with my ruleset is making it so that you
can override the feedback score.  The goal of this is to expand the
scope of the reputation to more than just the spam score.  Why?  When
the email is about to get rejected for some gross transgression before
it would normally do the spam scan, I still want affect the reputation
negatively because of it.  In that light, do you think any of the
following is too harsh?

1. If an email comes in to a non-existent recipient (but valid local
domain), set feedback to1 for that UMIS.
2. If an email comes in that is not a valid local recipient (i.e.
someone trying to see if you're an open relay), set feedback to 1 for
that UMIS.
3. Various header checks (subject longer than 998 characters, no Date
header), set feedback to 1 for that UMIS.

In my case, I reject all of these any way.  Limiting or slowing future
attempts to "do bad things" doesn't seem to bad to me.

Of course, if the sending user is authenticated, none of these apply.

--
Regards...      Todd
I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and