[Pymilter] Too harsh?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Mar 4 19:03:10 EST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Todd Lyons wrote:

> negatively because of it.  In that light, do you think any of the
> following is too harsh?

If you follow the example of using authentication status as a
qualifier (pass,neutral,dkim,etc), then there is no downside.
If example.com:neutral hits your triggers and gets banned, that
won't block example.com:pass or example.com:guess (passes best_guess).

The important feature that I am working on is having a web page URL
will a full explanation referenced in rejections, like AOL does.

I offer fairly complete multi-line rejection explanations
on SMTP, but most brain dead email systems (the ones that are
likely to get rejected) throw all that away and give the end user
something useless.  If they do pass it through, the end user ignore it.

So pretty much only one line will get to the end user.  Some systems
give them the first line, some give them the last line.  Hence
this is why AOL sends exactly one line with an URL.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>