[Pymilter] pymilter current state

Christian Rößner cr at sys4.de
Mon Jul 14 17:56:55 EDT 2014

Am 14.07.2014 um 19:14 schrieb Stuart D Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>:

> On 07/13/2014 04:59 AM, Christian Rößner wrote:
>> this is my first post to this mailing list. I love to use pymilter for writing milters for Postfix.
>>
>> My primary questions are:
>>
>> - is pymilter still actively developed?
> Yes, pymilter is still actively maintained.  I use it in production.  I am the maintainer for pymilter.  The other modules used with pymilter, like pyspf, pydkim, authres, etc have their own projects.

That’s really great to hear :) I am developing all milters on top of pymilter. I also had a closer look at ppymilter and pypymilter, but the pure python versions all have minor things, I don’t like. For example bringing all kinds of factories. I love the threaded version of pymilter :)

>> - is pymilter running under Python >3.x?
>>   - If not running under 3.x, how difficult could it be to port it? Is it possible to use 2to3 in some way?
>>
> I have ported the C module (import milter) to python3.  I haven't had time to work on the python code.  2to3 might work.  I don't use python3 in production, so I haven't messed with it much.  Perhaps spfmilter on python3 would be a reasonable starting project.

I am asking for Python3, because I realize that all kinds of modules are still not ported to 3.x and I wonder why, because many new modules are included in std lib in newer Python. For example IP address support will be part of 3.4 (I believe).

python-ldap, pycopg and mysqldb and all that stuff needs to be ported to Python3 and I try to ask, if people would like to port there great code to new versions of Python :) (maybe some of my examples might have been ported in the meantime; I don’t check this too much often).

I am also developing Python stuff (www.automx.org) and I am still very new to Python.

Kind regards

-Christian Rößner

--