Profile of the company I want to work for
The company I am looking for produces a real product or service, not dependent
on Federal contracts for survival. It should be a product or service I am
proud to help provide to the world.
When there are US Federal contracts, company executives should care about
whether a proposed contract is constitutional (even if their analysis differs
from mine), and have enough financial leeway to avoid questionable contracts.
I would prefer not to work on projects requiring secret clearances - even for
clearly constitutional activities such as the US Military. I hate keeping
secrets. See my preference for open source below.
- Use of open source wherever practical
- Company sponsored open source projects
- Employee sponsored open source projects
The software methodology I prefer includes:
- "Frequent" pair programming sessions
- Emphasis on unit testing
- Emphasis on packaging, even/especially for internal projects
- Iterative development: release early, release often
I have found that the ability to bike to work tremendously improves a desk job.
I am looking for a company that will accommodate this with:
- A place to park and lock bike out of the rain
- Showers available near workplace - unless job does not require
absolute personal freshness :-)
- Bike friendly public transportation in case of thunderstorms, snow,