[Pymilter] pygossip progress

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Jan 3 22:41:40 EST 2007

Along with fixing the problems reported, and getting 0.8.7 out (just one
more fix/feature...), I have deployed pygossip on two production mail
servers (packaging still getting debugged - get CVS if interested).  It is
cutting content filtering load by about 25%.  About 35 messages/day on
mail.bmsi.com are getting rejected due to bad reputation.  Since only 100
- 200 get content filtered (most of the 11000 spams get rejected in SMTP
envelope), this is a significant load reduction.  I have the rejection
level set to reputation < -50 and confidence > 1.  Since confidence decays
with time, people will eventually stop getting rejected, and if the next
message isn't spam, their reputation will improve.

I have run the peer protocol also, but this needs a lot more work on
robustness - i.e. handling socket errors when peers become unreachable
without messing up sendmail with the delay and retrying an unreachable
peer periodically.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>